Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

It's a start
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's a start

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore! limegreentj's Avatar

It's a start

started messing with my harbor freight bender today...i know its not ideal but as i stated before, im a cheap ass, and dont mind the extra work to make some stuff, especially if its cheaper in price. anyway, this winter i plan to make some fenders, and some bumpers and stuff and ive been doing research about HF benders and how to improve them....90% of the people said dont waste your time because it wont even bend 90 degrees...i said bullshit...lol. i modded mine today and i bent this stinger today just practicing, the time it took to fill with sand and finish the bend was about 4 minutes...i started with the roller furthest out and worked my way in...got to the 4th set of holes, this stinger is bent 130 degrees (65 on each side) no denting, except where i forgot to smooth out the one die (i smoothed it and that fixed it) all in all i think it turned out damn good, and i wouldnt mind bending all my stuff with this...i paid 40 bucks for the bender with all except the 2 smallest dies...and i ordered the 2 smallest dies from HF warehouse, each one was $3.99 lol. i think im happy...lol
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

00 xj- opposite sex-j or wife-j

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

Originally Posted by [B]dangerranger44[/B]
    i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    This pay dude i'm feelin the slider project to start. You goin to use ur bender to do the tube for em? Also my buddy with a dmax was wondering if you could make him bumpers?

yes and yes...lol...yeah i've been practicing with it and with no mods it'll bend a 45 degree without denting or kinking....after mods it seriously ought do at least 160 degrees lol
    98 xj- project dad's baby hauler-3 inch skyjacker lift 31 inch at's custom bumper

97 tj-summer fun toy. 33's 4 inch lift custom tube fenders, custom armor and stuff.

i know how the thornbirds suck offroad and all that. but they ride good and they make any truck look badass though.

Sweet! You free any time this wkend? Actually we're makin a run down connellsville on monday if you were inclined to tagalong i could get you some cash, plus you could wheel the tj.

buildin stuff this saturday and sunday is wife time...monday not sure, maybe helping tjblair....

Ite sumtime saturday if it wouldn't be a problem maybe i'll run up and give you the funds to kick this off. Depends what my dad is doin, trying to help him get stuff done so he can ride along on monday, if he doesn't need my help to get done, then either i'm runnin up ohiopyle for the run up there in the day, and maybe come up your place in the evening, lots of miles on my beast but its worth it haha.

yeah thats fine...if you want to meet me in monroeville or whatever that would be alright...whatever you wanna do

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Heres a few things the locals here have done with their HF benders.

Pipe Sched 40

I think they actually do really well.

holy hell!!! thats amazing...its hard to find pics of what people do with these things...i think they are kinda scared to post in fear of getting flamed...just like any tool...if you learn the proper way to use it, it really does a good job...any more pics?

Thats it.

wow...thats some good stuff! hopefully i'll get that good...i can just kinda do basic bends right now, the hardest stuff i'll have to bend soon is the flare for my tube fenders...it sucks cuz it costs money to practice and i dont wanna screw it up...lol

send my compliments to those benders!

brandon, what type/size tube are you using? honestly, hrew (not sched 40) is okay for straight supports and braces, but main structural stuff really ought to be DOM. those cages look sweet! but schedule 40 is gas pipe and really ought to be used for gas pipe. not flaming anyone, not knockin anything, but it truly is a safety issue. not mine personally, but i would hate to see anyone get hurt over schedule 40.

The toyota isnt sc 40. I believe its DOM. I cant remember for sure but Im almost positive it is. I understand what your saying. I was just showing what some people locally have done with it. Material wise I would agree with you.

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    Looks like you've got the hang of it nicely Brandon!

I agree about the cage made of SCH40, but bumpers/sliders etc...are just FINE with pipe.
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

no no you are exactly correct... i dont plan on building any cages with pipe...but ill build tube fenders and bumpers and sliders with pipe because it doesnt have to withstand a roll over... but to answer your question i am using schedule 40 pipe for all the bumpers and fenders and sliders, if i decide to do any cage work with my pipe bender i'd have to mod the dies so they fit the TUBE tight...

i saw in 4wd hardware that ARB actually builds sliders out of 1.25" schedule 40 pipe.

but yeah i wouldnt trust pipe in a rollover...lol

Trail Leader
    I may have to stop out on the way to camp on the kiski and have you do a lil stinger for me! lol what you doing this week? I am laid off!
    Mj- on jack stands

My front tube fenders are poison spiders they are Dom and take a hell of a beating infact I've yet to hurt them. Now my rear crushers are made by t&t and I believe the flair on them is sc 40 and the first good shot I gave them the tube dented.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

lol so am i...starting my rocker guards for my jeep andanyoneelsethatwantsthem (shameless plug) and thats about it...stop over if you want....let me know if you want me to build ya one so i can get the material and stuff.

when i get the blazer legal, ill take some sliders
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

for non structural stuff i would have no problem using sched 40, i agree there.... i would at least make sure it was spec'd with an idustrial grade (a106), not the un spec'd chinese crap from the homo depo

i agree justin, i get all my steel from a steel supplier right down in town www.metcosupply.com they always have good stuff

I don't disagre, I'm just saying that sc40 will dent if it takes a decent shot.
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

yes but so will DOM..if it is hit hard enough at the right angle

Agreed

Thread Information