Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

New guy stranded!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy stranded!

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! HeepH8erTy's Avatar

New guy stranded!

http://www.nissanoffroad.net/message...TOPIC_ID=23629

dont know if anyone has met richochet yet. hes just moved to uniontown from baltimore. well apparently hes stuck in a ditch right now! lol i cant help him b.c ive got a whole lot of shit going on right now and its too far from me. Check out this thread and please help if you can.

thanks! just thought if help a brother out and post this up on here
    02 ZR2 Sonoma- 4.3, 5spd, DD/Bike Hauler
    07 TRX400EX- XRC-ish woods krewser
    04 KX220 Hybrid Woods Weapon
    97 KDX220 Plated Street/Woods beater

Need some Powder Coating done? Let me know!

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    Tow truck???? If he has enough cell battery to be posting for help online, then he should be able to call for a tow. UNLESS he's somewhere he's not supposed to be...
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

yea i thought about that earlier this morning

Less posting, more wheeling! notmYJ's Avatar
    I tried to call him but it went straight to voice mail. I figured, I would offer up some help, since I was int eh same possition a while ago....
    92, 4.0, AW4, SOA, 8.8, D30, 37's, etc etc
    92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

"Send lawyers, guns, and money. The shit has hit the fan" - Warren Zevon

Everytime someone installs a Super35 kit, an angel looses its wings. Do you want that on your shoulders every time you get in the jeep? Why, I think not...

I don't think a small recovery for a tow truck would cost more than $50 but idk. If I were in the area I would defanitly stop down to get him out but I don't even really know where union town is.
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Less posting, more wheeling! notmYJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew2516 View Post
    I don't think a small recovery for a tow truck would cost more than $50 but idk. If I were in the area I would defanitly stop down to get him out but I don't even really know where union town is.

Probably close to 2hrs from you. Take 51 south get to I70, and keep going. lol. You'll run right into it.
    92, 4.0, AW4, SOA, 8.8, D30, 37's, etc etc
    92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

"Send lawyers, guns, and money. The shit has hit the fan" - Warren Zevon

Everytime someone installs a Super35 kit, an angel looses its wings. Do you want that on your shoulders every time you get in the jeep? Why, I think not...

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! psychobilly's Avatar
    hmmm...remember the hi-lift tread. For the amount of time he's been there one would think he could of figured out how to use the factory jack by now.

Hey Guy’s: Just spoke to Ricochet, he’s out now got a local to extract him. He was stuck on T345/Quebec Rd, it’s the road that goes from SR2001/Skyline Dr to SR381 at Elliottsville. This is the south end of FSF/Quebec Run area on the eastside of Chestnut Ridge.
    Andrew, Uniontown is at the south end of SR51.

Later

Mark
    Last edited by ComChewy; 02-16-2007 at 03:14 PM.

Web Wheeler!

Thumbs up

I would like to sincerely thank those of you from this board who called me that day and offered their help. I wasn't even a member of this board yet, but some of you still extended your hand in assistance to me.

It's 5am right now. So I'll wait till later on the type the story and post pic's of what happened.

I have grease stains on the knees of my dockers Muzikman's Avatar
    I assume you were wheeling alone? Not the best thing, especially in this type of weather.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam
    Pittsburgh (Penn Hills), PA

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzikman View Post
    I assume you were wheeling alone? Not the best thing, especially in this type of weather.
    Yeah, but I wasn't really intending on wheeling. That road is a real nice shortcut from Farmington (Rt.40) to Smithfield.

Ive been back there plenty of times with a lot of snow. It was the ruts from other vehicles that kinda steered me off the road and into the ditch.

Dont worry, I learned my lesson though.
    Last edited by Ricochet; 02-19-2007 at 06:16 AM.

Trail Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Yeah, but I wasn't really intending on wheeling. That road is a real nice shortcut from Farmington (Rt.40) to Smithfield.

Ive been back there plenty of times with a lot of snow. It was the ruts from other vehicles that kinda steered me off the road and into the ditch.

Dont worry, I learned my lesson though.
    Laurel Caverns Rd then turns into Mudpike?

What do you drive man, and where are you in Uniontown?

I live in Hopwood before you get to Amvets.
    5.5 RKLA w/ RE Monotubes
    9500lb Ramsey Winch
    KC Fog Lights
    305/70 BFG M/T's - street
    13/33-16 TSL - trail
    and a few other doodad's...

Glad you got out okay, can't wait to hear the whole story, hope you got some pics

I found one of those ditch type things yesterday in the Dunbar mountains. Out wheeling alone, but I don't really consider myself alone when I have about 60 ft of chain and strap and a huge chain powered come-along. Took about an hour to hand-winch me up out of there.

If it's warm out I don't have too much worry of wheeling by myself, but when it's cold, I would never think of doing so. Cold kills. I even have a winch and hi-lift.

Remember that guy in Oregon a few months ago?
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

Web Wheeler!
    If it's warm out I don't have too much worry of wheeling by myself, but when it's cold, I would never think of doing so. Cold kills. I even have a winch and hi-lift.

Remember that guy in Oregon a few months ago?
    Nahh, cold only kills when your not prepaird. Maybe some of these NOR guys will chime in on the gear I keep in my truck.

LOL

Here's the FULL story (not posted anywhere else) of what really happened.
    I didnt post the gun part on NOR, becuase I have run into some non-gun lovers over there. So I just told them the part w/o the gun info
    http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=20977
    Last edited by Ricochet; 02-20-2007 at 07:17 PM.
    [u]Ricochet[/u][i] - Pronunciation: rik-a-shay
    Definition: a glancing rebound (as of a projectile off a flat surface)[/i]

Good thing you were prepared. Buy yourself a set of sliders (if you don't have them) and a hi-lift. It will get you out of a lot of tight spots. And again, don't wheel a lone...number 1 rule of wheeling in my book.
    Jason "Muzikman" Beam

The Xterra
    The Jeep

number 1 rule of wheeling in my book.
    x2...I think most of us have learned that the hard way
    00 Cherokee Sport

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)

Trail Leader
    No good pics, but Dad and I sure got to use my winch finally when we got stuck, not in the deep snow, but the ice beneath it was at fault up around Laurel Caverns Sunday..
    5.5 RKLA w/ RE Monotubes
    9500lb Ramsey Winch
    KC Fog Lights
    305/70 BFG M/T's - street
    13/33-16 TSL - trail
    and a few other doodad's...

Some of us just have an obsessive compulsive need to wheel 24/7

I learned the hard way back in '98 or so when I first got my stock blue YJ. Ten years and a thousand stucks/recoveries later I feel comfortable doing 'some' wheeling alone, with appropriate equipment. I was also a girl scout for 10 years, you know - 'Be Prepared!'

Well, where's the story? The top link to nissanoffroad gives me a page not found, and the combat link I can't read without being registered....

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bookfiend View Post
    And some of us have sincerily come close enough to ending up D-E-D DEAD doing that, to realize it's a really..bad....freaking...idea...

hahaha yea ric definitly has a ton of stuff in his x. I remember readin a post that went on and on about all of his supplies lol

Web Wheeler!
    Quote Originally Posted by bookfiend View Post

Well, where's the story? The top link to nissanoffroad gives me a page not found, and the combat link I can't read without being registered....

NOR is down for a while.

Heres the FULL story;

Friday night I was taking a shortcut through the mountains. Its in an Area called Forbes State Forest in the Chestnut Mountain range in the South Western Corner of Pennsylvania near the West Virginia border.

As I was headed up the mountain I was getting enough traction, the snow was waaay too deep.

So I began to back down and take another route. As I backed down the old logging road. All the ruts from previous vehicles in the snow began to push me towards an embankment that had a ditch cutting between the road and the wall of dirt.

As my SUV slammed into the ditch, there was no way for me to get out.
    I tried digging, 4 wheel drive low, rocking, tow straps, jacks and shoving timber underneath the tires. Nothing was getting me out!

It was about 10pm and snowing very hard. The Temperature was 3°F and a Wind-chill of -8°F out. So needless to say it was VERY cold. Im not sure if there was any moon, but even if there was it would not have given me any light due to the heavy cloud cover providing all the heavy snowfall.

Well, my cell phoned worked, but every tow company I called said that they dont drive on "Tram roads". Im not sure what a Tram road is, but there was no sense in arguing with them. Im also new to this area and dont know anyone with a 4wd truck either.

So It was time to leave the vehicle and walk 6 miles back to a small town to see if anyone would help me.

Now in my truck I have always kept a SHTF kit. Which I have the following supplies:
    Extra Blankets-socks gloves, water, MRE's, Hand/Pocket warmers/ Gas Mask, NBC suit, tow strap, flares, parachute flares, flashlights, extra magazines for my Sig229-Glock 23-M16 and extra ammo for each weapon, Full sized ax, small hatchet, fire starters, compass, topographic maps for 11 different states, Chemical Weapon detector, Morphine tablets, Penicillin VK, First Aid kit, Hand crank powered AM/FM radio, and I know Im forgetting a few other things.

But needless to say Im well equipped for various survival scenarios while Im on the road.

So before I set out to walk these mountain roads back to the town, I took two flashlights, My SigSauer w/ two more 12 round mags, lighter, water, Handheld GMRS radio (480MHz The local FD uses some of those channels) and one of those aerial parachute flares for signaling all in a backpack.

Now in this area only 2 or 3 people live. And they live in very small and run down shacks. I figured it wasn't tooo late to knock on a door and ask someone for help. So the only house that I could see was an old 5th wheel type of camping trailer someone was living in. I made sure that as I walked up their long dirt driveway I would have my large flashlight on so I would not surprise them and they would think of me as less of a threat.

I got about halfway up their road I began to hear gun shots coming from the general area of their trailer. I stopped and got off the road and got cover behind a large fallen oak tree. I also turned off my flashlight. From growing up in Baltimore city, Ive been if a few locations were gunplay was the norm. I know how to find cover fast.

I also heard what some of you know the high pitched buzzing sound if a bullet coming at you. It sounded like a small caliber rifle. Not as small as a .22, but it wasnt an AK either.

Now heres the dilemma I faced. Should I shout out to tell them Im not there to harm them? Should I fire a warning shot?

If I did shout out, that would give away my position. If I fired a warning shot also to let them know I was armed, that may give them the feeling that Im shooting at them and we would both be forced to shoot at each other in self defense.

I sat there for what felt like 20 minutes checking all directions and staying behind my cover. The person(s) fired about 6 shots total within the first 10 minutes. I had my Sig229 out and the hammer back just in case anyone got the drop on me. I was wearing an Olive Drab Snorkel Coat: and two pairs of dark blue jeans. So against the tree was well camouflaged, out in the open snow I was easily seen.

After they were done shooting I looked around my area for the best possible route out of there that wasn't out in the open.

I remembered a small stream that ran parallel with the only road that led to town. I knew that if I walked a long the bank that would mask my foot prints and what little water that wasn't flowing and iced up would mask some of my noise as well. so I ran towards it.

As I was running I decocked my Sig so that I still could fire in a split second with the first trigger pull being double action. Which was a good thing because I tripped over something and as a natural human reflex I put both hands out to catch my fall. Keep in mind I always have my trigger finger off the trigger anyhow. But my Sig was covered in packed snow!

I took the magazine out and did a fast function check, and cleaned what snow I could off. It was ready for action.
    At this point Im freezing cold.

I was walking through the woods with no light, but it was easy for me to follow my route thanks to the stream.

I made it to town and talked with a guy at a gas station who said he would some by in the morning and pull me out with his winch for no charge. I got warmed up and he drove me back to my vehicle.

That whole night I was nervous about those fools who were shooting were going to find me. I did notify the State Police and told them all that happened and where I was. (Not that they cared at all)

But luckily nobody messed with me and in the morning that guy did come out and pull me out.

But I was VERY VERY comforted that I was armed. And as I said that I just moved here to PA I haven't gotten my CHL for PA yet. But this goes to show, that no matter what the law is. If you feel your in any kind of danger, your safety is far more important than a stupid law. Now Im not saying we should all go around breaking the law, but make sure you can defend yourself when the time comes!

I would like to hear your comments as to how I handled it. Also, I welcome any questions.

Here are some pics:

This was how he pulled me out. He attached a pulley to the tree on the hill and ran his winch from his truck down the hill:

And these are pics from how my truck was stuck:

My Sig:

Last edited by Ricochet; 02-21-2007 at 03:15 AM.
    [u]Ricochet[/u][i] - Pronunciation: rik-a-shay
    Definition: a glancing rebound (as of a projectile off a flat surface)[/i]

Trail Leader
    Dude, my x lives up that way, I used to drive all of them back ass roads all the time, especially the ones between the summit and mudpike... I cant say that I had anyone shoot at me before though! Some people are friggn crazy! I love your crick walking ninja tactics!
    '79 CJ7, rebuilt 258, HEI, T5 World Class, D300 Low max 4:1, Flat Belly, Narrowed D44 w/ true trac & diff gaurd, Widetrack AMC20 w/ superior shafts, Detroit locker & crane diff cover, 4" skyjacker lift, 2" BL, TJ flares, 35" tires, York OBA, YJ tub conversion, 6 pt. cage, F250 front shock towers

4.0 Head and TBI on the way

glad you got it out!
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

Wow! I had no idea up to this point that there was shooting involved. I thought you were overreacting a little but now I see what you mean about the dead part.

I've hiked in the Quebec Run wild area before, near there. There are tons of hunting cabins and shacks up there, probably a lot of gun nuts.

Thread Information