Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

aluminum polishing

Thread: aluminum polishing

aluminum polishing

i want to get my my motorcycle rims polished anyone know of a place i could call?
    [B]good judgement comes from experience, and sometimes expierence comes from bad judgement[/B]

what kid of rims chrome or polished alunium or cast. any detailing shop would do it for a price
    its not that hard to due it your self depending on rim material

painted aluminum its rough not polished

i'm worried that if i do it that it wont be smooth that i'll have flat spots everywhere or something
    Last edited by 86f150; 02-22-2007 at 04:20 PM.
    [B]good judgement comes from experience, and sometimes expierence comes from bad judgement[/B]

Official Meet and Greet Coordinator Alley's Avatar
    "Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

Quote Originally Posted by Alley View Post

lol its a little more involved than that but i did find a place allegheny metal finishing in imperial he told $150 per rim

Official Meet and Greet Coordinator Alley's Avatar
    Wow, 150.00 per rim, they must be pretty bad.
    How much are these rims new??
    "Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

You can do it yourself. It just takes time. sand, buff, finer sand, buff.....

new rims are about 350-450 new from a dealer. You can get them chrome dipped for 3-400/pair

they are the stock rims they came from the factory with a rough texture and purple paint to match the trim on the bike. i'm gettin the bike painted so i thought i would lose the purple. the rims need to be polished with sandpaper to make them smooth. it takes forever start with like 220 grit sand the whole thing then step down a grit or two sand the whole thing again step down again sand again till you get down to 2000 grit then use a polishing compound and polish the hell out of them till they shine. i think i'll pay the $300 just to not have the headache lol

Moderator of the DeeDeeDees! Bill's Avatar
    There is a guy out in Ambridge that does them reasonably cheap. I will talk to my brother and get his information. Give me a few days and I will get something to you.
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Call of Duty Special Ops Edition (De-badged)

"The two most common elements in the universe are nitrogen and stupidity."

IT!
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

Quote Originally Posted by jeepxj3 View Post
    IT!
    lol your a funny guy

thanks bill im wating till the bike gets painted before i take the rims off anyways so youll have plenty of time.

The Powerball and Flitz is great for restoring already polished aluminum, but not for rough stuff...

Think of the texture on your intake manifold. Now think about trying to polish that with a Powerball....

While I'm sure his rims aren't that rough, we're in the same ballpark..
    -Brandon

99 TJ

"Well, you have to know these things when you're a king, you know."

they are taht rough but painted the lips are smooth i striped and polished them with some compund and they shine good the middle of the wheel is shitty

Less posting, more wheeling! JeepSteeler's Avatar
    There was a guy down in the Monessen (sp) who straightened, cut, and polished a set of aluminum wheels for me about 5 years ago. He specializes in that type of stuff....man they came out AWESOME and he only hit me for about $60 a wheel....damn I can't think of his name.....I saw his number in one of those "green sheet" things one time........arrrghhh....It will come to me about a week after you get it done.......

"Freedom is something that dies unless its used" -HST

Thread Information