Thread: Say your talking older Chevy (70's), how much is rocker panel and floorboard replace?

Say your talking older Chevy (70's), how much is rocker panel and floorboard replace?

I hate body work with a passion, but a cop friend of mine wants me to do him a favor. I don't customarily do it, so I really don't know how to quote for it.

Assuming it's just straight forward rocker and floorboard replacement with no heavy rust underneath or other associated work, what's a descent price that's still a "hook up"? He's buying all the replacement panels.

Thanks

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Lol, your jokin right?
    When in doubt, put the hammer down

No...I'm not joking. I don't have adjusted labor rates for that type of work, or anything as a guide for rocker/floorboard replacement. The fab I do is adjusted on an entirely different scale, so I have no idea how to price the job.

I don't really want to take on the work, but as a favor I will. I've done panel replacement/rust repairs in the past, but it was always just on my own vehicles. I was never into doing body work for hire because I personally hate it.

I'm probably not going to be as efficient time wise because I don't do that type of work ordinarily, so I'm not going to adjust based on estimated hours. I'll just work it as a flat rate job, and however long it takes, it takes. I just wanted to know what typical body shop rates are, so that I can adjust it to a fair price for him and myself....that's all.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    a couple hundred dollars would be sufficient depending on how much you get into. body men make less than the mechanics (fifty an hour) i know they dnt see fifty but on an average that is what is charged. bodyshops charge around 30-40 an hour for work. how r u cutting them in??(along the body line on the rocker) or what? also wat kind of paint work will u be doin?? spray bomb or actuall paint?? alot depends how well he wants it done he might only want rid of the holes and rust it all depends on how good you are as too how much time you have involved i will give you a hand if you want i have some of my own body tools (i went to votech for it) and havent really had much time in it lately but ill help, let me know..
    the future is a mystery, the past is history, today is a gift and thats why it is called the present

Well, I haven't seen the truck in person yet, we just discussed it on the phone. He said the floorboards on each side just have small holes, not sure on the rockers. He's buying whole reproduction panels, so hopefully I can just drill the spot welds and replace the entire piece. I guess it really depends on when I see the truck and see what panels can come out easily versus being cut.

He wants it done in his garage, so I'll just load up most of the stuff, along with a Lincoln MIG I have. He says the truck needs inspected before January, so that leaves two months. I am extremely buried in work though, so this is certainly pushing my schedule. If your available maybe we can work something out. I don't mind cutting up profits to just get the sh*t done and out of my way.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    where is it located, im up in freeport (above new ken) i wont mind helping like i said i have long boards and a die grinder/cut off wheel and orbital sander and some other equipment. it all depends on how far away it is due to the gas to profit ratio..... i would be free evenings and mostly weekends. also reproduction parts??? hmmmmmm well i hope they r not japanese aftermarket, more than likely they wont fit(they never do) oem fit much better. let me know when you find out...
    the future is a mystery, the past is history, today is a gift and thats why it is called the present

Ehh...as long as their close...it'll be aight.

He's in Turtle Creek (right by Monroeville)...he's closer to you than me actually.

When I get details I'll let you know. I just have to see what's involved. For the labor, I'm just not really into the job honestly. I turned it downed initially but he called me recently.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    im familiar with shit creek... oops i mean turtle creek just kidden thats what ive always called it.. let me know i will help out if we double team it we can knock it out quick..

Will do man....

Thread Information