Thread: Turbo diesel swap into YJ

Turbo diesel swap into YJ

Thanks to iroc86 for sharing his Isuzu swap engine project on PghOffRoad. I would like to see all the turbo diesel projects that involve a Jeep CJ, YJ or TJ. Let me know if you see some good web site projects on the net.

I just started my project last week. I got my Isuzu 4 cylinders turbo engine on July 24. I started with a Jeep Wrangler 2.5L five speed. In my case, I’ve been dreaming about upgrading my Jeep 93 to go to 35 inches tires for 6 years but when I looked on internet to get technical info, I quickly understood that we have to change many things to be able to put 35 inches tires without breaking the gears and still have good driving control on the highway.

Thanks to guys like iroc86, I know where I’m going with my project. I broke my 2.5L engine 2 years and I didn’t have the time to swap a turbo diesel in it and I miss my YJ.

On July 22 on my lunch time, I went to the junk yard to get a part for my Cherokee and then I saw a beautiful Isuzu (see the picture). I quickly lift up the cab and I saw my Isuzu turbo engine 4BD1T. The man asked me 330$ for the engine with the transmission and the computer. I noted the phone number on the door of the truck and I called the last owner.

He told me that he was parking the truck in the field and because of that the body and the suspension corroded too much and he decided to send the truck to the junk yard. Finally, he
    told me that the truck only has 55 000 miles. I quickly arranged something to get my engine in the garage before going in vacation on July 25.

Now that I’m back from vacation, I decided to share my project with you. I don’t know much about turbo diesel engine but I feel like I’ll learn a lot in the next few months. Thanks in advance for your support.
    Last edited by Bill; 08-16-2008 at 05:03 PM.

Smart phone, dumb Wrecker! Wrecker's Avatar
    Please edit and not use black type.
    Gotta be a special place in heaven for those girls who believe in making a lot of guys happy instead of making one miserable

Free Frank!

Somethin seems rather off about this thread...
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Moderator of the DeeDeeDees! Bill's Avatar
    I edited the thread so you can read it... I am not sure what is up with it though...
    2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - Call of Duty Special Ops Edition (De-badged)

"The two most common elements in the universe are nitrogen and stupidity."

i was asking about doing a swap 2.4 SRT out of a dodge into my tj also a 2.4 but all the minds said that a turbo into a part time off road vechicle wes a no go due to the turbo would not be able to spool up fast enough off road. i would check with courrier express on josephine st and 21st i,m sure they have a few unuseable 4x4 trucks all they use are nissan grab an old truck swap t case and tranny and the nissan diesel all one shot this may work keep us posted. also the last time the jeep tech crew was taking q&a there was a lot of talk about a factory diesel motor that would be a direct swap into a tj early in 09

Thread Information