Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

One Link Suspension
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Link Suspension

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar

One Link Suspension

I've been looking into different types of rear suspensions for my TJ, I had always assumed I would build a 4 link but was doing some research and came across the one-link design w/ a panhard bar.

I can think of a few advantages:
    - can be built strong
    - acts as a skid plate for the driveshaft
    - simple
    - cheap (one expensive joint and some box tube)

It seems to be fairly common in rigs with a longer wheelbase, but I read one article that complains that the link is too short in SWB Jeeps. I figure it still has to be much better than my current short arms. My only other concern is that you only have one joint holding everything in place, if it breaks you're in trouble (but there are some sweet joints on Pirate).

Thoughts/opinions?

I also like one set up like the picture below, where I could keep the springs in the current location and still strecth the wheelbase some. However, I would think this put more leverage on the springs, not allowing them to do their job as well.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    That seems like it would be really unstable, just looking at it. Of course i know absolutely nothing about them.

What would stop that from moving perpendicular to the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Megamus View Post
    That seems like it would be really unstable, just looking at it. Of course i know absolutely nothing about them.

What would stop that from moving perpendicular to the body.
    The panhard bar (not pictured) would keep it from going side to side. AKA track bar. It's really a 2-link if you include that.
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    Its a solid design, I've considered it.

Look into a "Joint 360" instead of a big heim joint.

Everyone that runs them loves 'em. (including guys with rocks and 42's + big HP).
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

Quote Originally Posted by Krod View Post

Everyone that runs them loves 'em. (including guys with rocks and 42's + big HP).
    Yep, I agree they're solid and simple. I would get the 360 Joint, but it's not cheap ($250 I think)

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    i read that thread... didn't really provide much info on them... just that people "thought" they looked shitty...

the jist of it was it has to be setup right or it's gonna suck... and it's tough setting it up right... the dudes that ran it said it works well... i didn't really look into it too much more...
    "When your god gives you lemons... you find a new god!"

Quote Originally Posted by Krod View Post

Per the dude on Pirate:
    Quote Originally Posted by ericrunner View Post
    the joint 360 is now garantee for life
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar
    that will work great. you don't see it a lot but unimog's are manufactured with a very similar design.

http://www.brian894x4.com/Unimog_rear_axle.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGeneral View Post
    I would get the 360 Joint, but it's not cheap ($250 I think)

And the price of 8 quality heims/JJ's (for a 4link) is going to be much cheaper?

You'd certainly have to limit droop with a center strap, but really the only other limiting factor would be shocks after that. And if you build your link out of 2x2" and attach it "leaf-spring-style" to perches on the top of the axle, your "lower" links would be MUCH higher up, and eliminate the problems of hanging up on your lower arms/brackets.

Lots of advantages in that design too if you think it through
    1. No more "hanging" lower links to get smashed/caught
    2. Adjustable wheelbase (depending on how you mount the axle to the link)
    3. As much flex as you can handle
    4. Driveshaft protection
    5. Ease of setup/adjustment (over a 4link)

I think a 3 or 4 link front with a 1link rear would be a great combo. Swaybar the rear-end to force the front to balance the flex with the front suspension and you'd be set.

Pirate has a great tech thread on this topic also. (I'm sure you've seen it)

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Im not sayin its a bad design. I honestly know nothing about it. Ive actually never even heard of one till you brought it up. I deff want to see how it works out fo you

Less posting, more wheeling! joshs1ofakindxj's Avatar
    This has also caught my attention...

Are you planning to drive this on the street?
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - New motor, long arms, 33's | Jeep FSM's & other stuff -> JeepsLimited.com

He trailers as is Cebby. I think Tom is losing the stock TJ axles to go along w/ this new suspension.
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Gotcha - then I think it's a great idea. I like the idea of a little more redundancy for the street. Catastrophic failure at 65mph on a one link (OK, 2-link) is a bit scary.

Have you considered a wishbone instead? Supposed to be less jacking. Good idea with the adjust-ability for your wheelbase, but more importantly, your A/S.

Don't forget a long slip DS on the build list.
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - New motor, long arms, 33's | Jeep FSM's & other stuff -> JeepsLimited.com

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! psychobilly's Avatar
    Back in the early days of the one link folks were using a trailer ball and tongue for that set up.

Quote Originally Posted by psychobilly View Post
    Back in the early days of the one link folks were using a trailer ball and tongue for that set up.
    You could imagine the play in a setup like that...
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

They seem like a good trail only suspension but there is apparently no way to control squat and lift except to have a realy long link which is not likely on a TJ.

If you do it, you may want to stretch the wheelbase.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! jackb1's Avatar
    I considered this and do like the design. Like mentioned, the geometry really would be much better with a longer link, but some like loads of anti-squat.

I priced the "grader ball" locally (see the pirate thread if you're not familiar) and it was about $200-225ish which is part of why I went 4 link. In hind sight, this would still have been a LOT cheaper, at least for me. I like it much better than any 'joint' on the market for pure beef.
    It's not illegal, it's frowned upon.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    It really isn't far off from the Double traingulated 4 link that I am running. It would work just as well with a few trade offs.

I prefer the 4 link for more adjustability.

The Jeep lives on a trailer, and won't get inspected after I swap in the full width axles.

I've spent hours and hours reading up on it over the past few days and the only reason it's design is flawed is because it lacks adjustability to control antisquat. I never have and never will sit down and take measurements to figure out my antisquat, especially when I can't find signifigant information on which numbers are best for each vehicle. Some say above 100 is fine for SWB, some say 40, most try to get around 75 but I find no explanations as to why each number is best for particular wheelbases. All I ever read is "my AS is 140 and produces wheel hop on steep climbs", mine does that with 4" springs and short arms and I can assume it will get better with a longer link.

I like it because it's simple and can be built to protect your drivetrain. I plan on stretching the wheelbase 8-10 inches. I would like to keep the springs in the stock location for now and build a link like the one above (notice the spring perches a few inches in front of the axle) but I'm afraid of the leverage that would put on the springs. I have to get underneath and take some link measurements and see if there is even room to mount a single joint just below the TC, as I don't want it to hang any lower than my skid already does.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    There is room right behind the Tcase. It is very tight though and to get the Tcase out the cross member has to be removable.

This is how I did my cross member. You could do something similar I think. It sits about 1 Inch higher than the stock skid now. I did have to relocate the trans mount. I just built a seperate cross member for it.

Not sure how you need to build yours but just some things to think about.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobilly View Post
    That's pretty ghettobootyfabalicous. I like it

The joint 360 is basically a glorified trailer ball/hitch. Just much tighter tolerances. The ball IS a trailer ball, just a higher strength than your average "u-haul-ball" LOL

Still plenty beef. Id trust it, even on the street, with a competent welder burning the links together.

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    That's got to be the coolest joints I've ever seen. I once saw a "one link" put together on a YJ with a group I was wheeling with in Moab, the same obsticle I posted of the ZJ on going full thottle. Anyway, this guy used a ball joint instead of something like that crazy thing above, needless to say it went KABOOM!

Thread Information