Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
One Link Suspension - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One Link Suspension

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    That's got to be the coolest joints I've ever seen. I once saw a "one link" put together on a YJ with a group I was wheeling with in Moab, the same obstacle I posted of the ZJ on going full throttle. Anyway, this guy used a ball joint instead of something like that crazy thing above, needless to say it went KABOOM!

It seems the biggest competitor for the 360 was the Evo joint. But that is still just a bigass heim. Not meant to take the side loads, and not enough deflection to prevent binding. Its still beef, just not right for this application.

I sure as hell cant understand why anyone would think a regular old BALL JOINT (if i read you right) would be strong enough for this kind of application! LOL wow...
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    "LOL wow..." was my thought exactly! We heard a POP, and his rear pinion looked all ****ed, he's like half hung on an obsticle... we were like have fun, see ya later! His friends stayed to help him, I wasn't gonna lose a day of Moab wheeling seeing how that fix went!

It was funny though, everyone crawled under it and said "WTF were you thinking?"

Less posting, more wheeling! Krod's Avatar
    And I think thats the biggest reason people refuse to give this setup a chance. They think its TOO simple....TOO redneck/bootyfab. Funny thing is, that everyone I've seen running one that is built "right", loves it. And they aren't exactly "easy" on their rigs either lol.

F-the haters. Build it beef and beat it like a red-headed step-child.
    Women have clothes and shoes....we get welding and tools!....and the women!

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    I'm all about the 1 link setup, my issue with it was the lack of a good joint for that kind of load, but apparently there is one now!

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    Assuming there is some room for a crossmember behind the TC without losing ground clearance, this is most likely the setup I'll run in the rear. Unfortunately I put myself on a strict budget for the build (putting aside $250/month) so it will probably take a few months to buy the joint, metal, locker for the front, new drive flanges, johnny joints, and steering heims.

Maybe not though, I'm damn impatient!

EDIT: Forgot about tires/wheels, too

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Keep us updated on your build, I've been thinking/planning the build of a mini wheeler, that will be sitting on f/r one link suspensions, for allot of the reasons people mentioned, so I'm real interested to see you build this so I can look first hand at how it works for you, so I know how to build mine, lol.
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! psychobilly's Avatar
    I wheeled with a one link yoter on saturday. One of gonecheenin's local crew has it. It was a pretty cool design at the piviot point, just tube fit inside another tube where it could rotate, no panhard bar, no expensive joints. It had good flex, good clearance and looked tough but it didnt seem to put power to the ground very well when climbing. That could of been the result of a combo of other things too though, not just the one link. Like tires, weight bias, I think the front was open diff, etc.

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobilly View Post
    I wheeled with a one link yoter on saturday. One of gonecheenin's local crew has it. It was a pretty cool design at the piviot point, just tube fit inside another tube where it could rotate, no panhard bar, no expensive joints. It had good flex, good clearance and looked tough but it didnt seem to put power to the ground very well when climbing. That could of been the result of a combo of other things too though, not just the one link. Like tires, weight bias, I think the front was open diff, etc.

Any pic's of this set-up? This sounds real interesting. Did it have anyway to have the axle as a whole drop, or could it only rotate? From the sounds of your description it sounds like it can only rotate.
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! psychobilly's Avatar
    drop and rotate on an airbag.

Thread Information