Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

FathersnSons 94 XJ, From Start to ...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FathersnSons 94 XJ, From Start to ...

FathersnSons 94 XJ, From Start to ...

Moving to PA from CO required us to change to a different off road vehicle. We searched for months.

March 2007, we found this on eBay, we bid, we won
    The previous owner was in NEW YORK CITY. His effort & wallet gave us a great start,

- Rear Axle Ford 8.8 w/ Detroit Locker
    - Front Axle Tru Trac
    - 4" Skyjacker lift
    - 32" BFG Mud
    - Stainless Steel Brake lines
    - 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch
    - New Drive Shafts, New Timing Chain
    - HD Transmission Cooler
    - 300 Amp Alternation & Optima Yellow top Battery
    - Safari Snorkel
    - Safari Roof Rack
    - Front Offroad Farm Bumper
    - New Headliner
    - Leather Interior from 99 Limited

WHAT A GREAT START.
    Fathernsons.com Started with a 94 xj at a shown & shine a few years back. Knowing we had a difficult time against the trailered entries, we added a sign that read, "we use this jeep to promote our father n son time together".
    From that vendors & without solicitation wanted to sponsor our site. Its starting to come together more and more.
    Thanks to all. Meanwhile we will see you on the trails.

Whats the first thing you do, when you are waiting for a place to wheel & you just happen to find a few cement blocks lying around?

Fathernsons.com Started with a 94 xj at a shown & shine a few years back. Knowing we had a difficult time against the trailered entries, we added a sign that read, "we use this jeep to promote our father n son time together".
    From that vendors & without solicitation wanted to sponsor our site. Its starting to come together more and more.

Warn Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier

Our First Upgrade:

WARN REAR BUMPER w/ TIRE CARRIER
    It's a great bumper, Steve loves it. If I had to do it over again I probably would have chosen another vendor.

We also added our own licence plate relocation. JC Whitney Light & a little time.

We had met Rob & Jeff, & fell in love w/ Terry at earlier events. Rob never said so but I think he thought we lost our minds at first. We still had our Colorado Disco, it was awesum out west but not for the PA trails. (THE XJ IS WAY CHEAPER, Frankly we could never afford it now)

OUR LAND ROVER DISCOVERY HSE-7 WE DO MISS IT.

BUT the XJ is better all around for PA trails, especially now that Steve is driving'

Bruin, PA June 2007

I believe we added the WARN Rails, and our CB in prep for this outing.

Steven in on my left, watch him grow as I get fatter.

NEXT ADDITION Summer 2007

ROCK HARD's INTERIOR SAFETY CAGE

FROM THIS:

TO THIS, After a few spray cans of paint, Allot of Allen Bolts (6 / joint). Steve & I got it all in except for the 1 piece, that surrounds the dash. For that we had to have Jeff & Rob at Meridian help us.

With Steel Front & Rear bumpers, Steel Rails, & now the safty cage, we no longer have unibody flex. With future plans of removing the doors+ this was important/

Next we started to design the SOFT DOORS & searched for someone who was up for the job. Lucky for us, we found someone in Michigan. After a few phone calls & a few $$$$'s they arrived.

They did an outstanding job! About 20 seconds after we put them on, we decided we wanted rear ones as well. SO we started to SAVE & begged our new friends in MI if they would build the rears.

MIRRORS
    were the immediate challenge. We tried the LANGE replacements but we were not happy with the look and functionality. They vibrated so bad they were useless & the passenger was not in sight for the driver.

As recently posted I like the suggestions given. I believe we will make a bracket to fit on the windshield pillar (under the snorkel on drivers side) and run a motor cycle mirror from there. Still planning and looking. All suggestions are welcome.

I will post more on better mirror positioning.

AIR TANK Next upgrade
    We choose UTIMATE AIR. The owner was great to work with & his outfit was cheaper than the powertank. Steven liked the black so we went with it.

Eau Claire PA 2008

We need more wheeling pics. No one wants to get out to take pics.

2nd Annual 4WD Jamboree Canfield OH

This event birthed the FathersNsons theme. Vendors without solicitation came to us to discuss sponsorships. BUSHWACKER has been amazingly good, so has EYEKANDY, (Custom hood to follow). Other Vendors have given discounts to us which we are thankful for. Other friends have built custom parts for a little over cost. THANKS TO ALL, Now that I cannot get out to the garage you guys who help us, we appreciate. Meanwhile I am using the opportunity to teach the teens a little mechanics.

We entered because the price was better than passes. Steven worked his @$$ off cleaning up the jeep. I explained other would trailer their jeeps in that only were for shows & never off road, but he would not give up.

HE was so excited

Steven adds Diamond Plate Entry Plates, Aug 2008

Eau Claire PA

This trip was great. Steven was out of town 4-wheeling in the Allegany Mts near SC with his Uncle. When his friends found out they all called and begged to go with me. They had a great time.

Everything was fine. We were following the Moderate Signs when all of a sudden:

Everyone chipped in & we were out. Then to the car wash on the way home.

Official PghOffRoad Post Whore!
    Great thread Mike!
    2000tj on D60's, custom long arms, 3link front, four link rear both locked with a 231/300 doubler twin sticked, Full Hydro steering, on 38 in boggers

A Summer w/out the JEEP.

We finally were able to get the rear soft doors. However they needed the jeep this time.
    I was not excited about driving it so we bought our next upgrade to prepare.

1st, A TRUCK
    2nd, A TRAILOR

Steve & a few members of the posse tied it down (please note these pics were taken before they finished tying he jeep down)

That summer was long for us, The jeep was in MI for a couple months but it was worth it. Finally we got to pick it up.

From Michigan, we went straight to South Pittsburgh for the tube fender fab. Before leaving for MI we replaced both front fenders with new ones.

TUBE FENDERS

a few rattle cans latter.

So we now need to get them on the jeep.

Finally added foam to the Interior Cage. All these guys are getting taller, its a must to cover these.

HERCULINER Also before heading to MI the guys ripped out the carpet and added HERCULINER, turned out great.

Putting the seats back in

Q) Now what does a 16 yr old guy do when he has a JEEP to drive on a hot summer day?

A) Find the Seneca Valley Cheerleader Car Wash & have DAD PAY.

it was worth it.

SO thats pretty much gets us caught up to 2011.

Here are a few picks since JAnuary. (& YES) today I did start mounting the tubes, THE LOOK UNBELIEVABLY GREAT, I think you would say SICK?
    I had to take them back off after we marked the cut line. I will get picks of the tubes ASAP.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    This thread rocks on so many levels. Great job!

www.RalphsOffRoad.com RalphDogg's Avatar
    this is great

Thats about it. Thanks for looking, thx for all you wisdom, help, support, and friendship. This is a great sport, because of the great people.

I would never have guessed we would have such a great jeep, but the best times with it now are with the guys. love the grins when they accomplish something.
    new. As stated our goal is to have not the best show jeep nor the best go Jeep, but possibly the best SHOW & GO JEEP.

We have a custom hood ready to be picked up, racing bucket seats ordered with harnesses presently. The next goal is to lift it with a long arm, lower the gears, and add 35's. How that will happen I have no idea,..............yet.

Steven Age 5 MOAB

Steven Still Age 5, its about 6 a.m., he slept on the hallway floor outside of my bedroom. We had to get up at 4 a.m. & he was afraid I would forget him.

Steven age 10, PA Dad & Son alone on this campout. With all the guys around today I need to remember our time.

THEY GROW UP FAST ENJOY THEM TEACH THEM LOVE THEM
    Steven this week age 16, I AM SO VERY BLESSED
    Last edited by fathersnsons; 03-07-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    Fantastic job! This thread is great! The XJ seems to be done right and looks good too. You guys should be really proud.
    Heat the hole freeze the shaft

Thread Information