Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hawkins gate
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hawkins gate

Hawkins gate

According to the article, Indian Creek Rd is 'temporarily closed' pending the outcome of the Nov. 13 meeting. Putting the gate up now is going to attract even more attention to the issue I would think.

Petition is here and the history of the situation

Rode up by there, this pic was taken a few hours ago:

Last edited by bookfiend; 10-22-2007 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added petition links

I agree, the locals are kinda crazy out that way.
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

PghOffRoad Forum Addict!
    That sucks, I'm 1000% positive some a$$ is going to tear down that gate or at least drive through it, and they will use that as ammunition against us as to why they have to close it down. It sucks but we've had simmilar problems around me w/ some trails I used to be able to wheel.
    I'm not completely worthless, I can always serve as a bad example.

[COLOR=red]Every time I walk into a singles bar I think of my mom's wise words, "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been." [/COLOR]

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    This is a sad day. EVERYONE SIGN THE PETITION NOW!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JeepGeneral View Post
    This is a sad day. EVERYONE SIGN THE PETITION NOW!!!!!!!!
    Yes it is. That photo really makes me angry and sad.

The couple thousand dollars it cost to put up that gate could have been used towards keeping the road maintained, etc. That is SHITTY.
    If I wanted to hear from an ass, I'd fuckin fart.

'01 Silverado 2500HD crew, D.D./tow pig.

'86 Jeep MJ longbed 2wd SLOWLY evolving to '99 4wd <--FOR SALE

Quote Originally Posted by john00TJ View Post
    i wouldnt let that dude paint my mail box, but whatever

Steve, your so right...
    1980 CJ-7 304 TH400 BW1339
    1999 TJ Sport 4.0 32RH NP231
    2001 XJ Sport 4.0 AW4 NP231

Ok so now Im torn...

I have never been there, and I dont even live in the area...
    But I love pgh and Jeeps / Offroading...

So toss me some opinions....
    Should I print the petition? Sign it and have the the NovaJeepers and Beltway Jeepers sign it as well???

I mean we don't use the trail but don't want any more to close and there for happily support any fight against closure...
    At the same time I would hate to have the board feel like groups who dont matter are flooding them with sigs just to fill a sheet...

Thoughts???

"Has anyone ever mistaken the chicken outside for a crab?" JeepGeneral's Avatar
    Nope, the more the merrier. Not only do you support keeping Hawkins Hollow open, you're supporting keeping all offroad areas open. Please print and sign away...maybe someday you'll make it there!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxRunner View Post
    Ok so now Im torn...

I have never been there, and I dont even live in the area...
    But I love pgh and Jeeps / Offroading...

So toss me some opinions....
    Should I print the petition? Sign it and have the the NovaJeepers and Beltway Jeepers sign it as well???

I mean we don't use the trail but don't want any more to close and there for happily support any fight against closure...
    At the same time I would hate to have the board feel like groups who dont matter are flooding them with sigs just to fill a sheet...

Thoughts???
    I think I say it best when I say, If you and or anyone else who is a fellow off-roader can do anything to help, petition included, please do so. Every name helps, and if you can get a few from either or both of those clubs, I know everyone here would appreciate it!

Premium Supporting Member OverkillZJ's Avatar
    WTF, talk about premptive strike.... That's crap.

Preemptive, that's what he did the first time too. If you read the articles, in his 'development plan' for the camplands he submitted to the zoning hearing board his plans for the 'private' road. So BEFORE any public comment meetings or hearings, the supervisors turned the road over to him. The overwhelming public outcry overturned it in 2002.

Yeah, I'd send comments saying you are far away but have considered coming all this way to check out the valley of Indian Creek. Even if it doesn't get overturned again, we can let this guy know how many people MIGHT HAVE stayed at his campland had he not tried to block public access to the hollow. Now you guys will probably go to Tellico instead? Or wherever.

The above is an example, not trying to put words in your mouth. But I think any 'letters' especially, explaining how you feel about this attempt by one guy to profit from banning all of us responsible wheelers, will go over better than plain old signatures.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    can some one get me a good pic of the lock, it might be buyable at you local hardware store
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

Quote Originally Posted by Gibson View Post
    can some one get me a good pic of the lock, it might be buyable at you local hardware store
    Why would you want a picture of the lock?

Less posting, more wheeling! notmYJ's Avatar
    I have an idea why you are asking, but I'd rather hope that I am wrong. That being said, keep in mind, we are RESPONSIBLE wheelers. We do not go where we are not aloud. If a road is blocked, gated, or posted we will not go there. It is the people who go through, over or around these closures that give the other side the ammo they need to close more roads and make us out to be a nuscence to the general public. Which gains support to close even more areas that we use. Even if we use it responsibly.

Hell, as far as the place in question goes, I have only been there once. That was on a clean up run about a year ago. I cleaned, picked up trash and hauled it out, along with a bunch of others from this board. We didn't make the mess, the others did, so we cleaned it up. Didn't help that much as we are still being kicked out.

Please, I mean, PLEASE go to http://www.treadlightly.org/ and see how big this problem is. Aside from the few of us that have access to private land, we are loosing the land usage battle due to most part the irresponsible people who trash the land and break the law to "have a good time"....
    92, 4.0, AW4, SOA, 8.8, D30, 37's, etc etc
    92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)

"Send lawyers, guns, and money. The shit has hit the fan" - Warren Zevon

Everytime someone installs a Super35 kit, an angel looses its wings. Do you want that on your shoulders every time you get in the jeep? Why, I think not...

What? If anybody from here tries to illegally open that lock, gate, or otherwise gain access to that property by ANY MEANS OTHER THAN THROUGH PROPER LEGAL CHANNELS will have more than the law to deal with.

Leave the lock alone. Leave the gate alone. Sign the petition and/or go to the meeting about the situation, do NOT make this situation worse by making us all look bad.

Less posting, more wheeling!
    ok, ill be good little boy
    03 s10 4x4
    89 irocz mullet mobile
    90 miata v8 project

PghOffRoad Forum Addict! cjw94xk's Avatar
    Ok. So my question is and this may be a stupid one, but that is only one entrance to the trails, correct? Or is this "road" the main trail up there. Only ask because I and a few other (responsible) were thinking about doing a light trail run with the families this Sunday. Talk about bad timing.

Quote Originally Posted by cjw94xk View Post
    Ok. So my question is and this may be a stupid one, but that is only one entrance to the trails, correct? Or is this "road" the main trail up there. Only ask because I and a few other (responsible) were thinking about doing a light trail run with the families this Sunday. Talk about bad timing.
    This is probably not where you wanna have that event. Hopefully everyones hard work will pay off, and it will be legal to wheel at some point again, but staying off that property right now is probably the best thing you can do, aside from signing the petition, and writing in with your concens.

Speaking of the petition, a member from the WPAXC mailed his in and it came back undeliverable.

....seriously? I haven't sent mine in yet, was planning to get all my signature's together first...

Trail Leader
    is anyone else going to the meeting?
    F.U.B.A.R

I'm planning on it, and can provide transportation for up to 7 others if they need it...

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    ....seriously? I haven't sent mine in yet, was planning to get all my signature's together first...
    Yeah:

i sent it in a few days ago. but in todays mail it sits. returned to me because it is not delieverable to that address. i triple checked it and it is the correct address. HELP!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    I'm planning on it, and can provide transportation for up to 7 others if they need it...
    I wish I was able to go but I will not be home...

thanks for going!!!!!!!

Thread Information